Rodeo Uncorked – Best Bites
It’s Rodeo time again fellow Houstonian’s, and Lights Camera Action is on the scene to bring you the best of western food, drink, and fashion from the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo!
This year the Rodeo Uncorked event presented us with an amazing array of wines from the ever expanding Texas landscape of local wineries. From red to white, and a few ports thrown in, every taste was catered to. We especially enjoyed the chocolate cherry port from the Texas Legato Winery. Over 2,884 entries from 943 wineries were represented in the 2013 International Wine Competition.
The winners were…
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Alexander Valley Vineyards CYRUS, Alexander Valley, 2008
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Williams Selyem Westside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, 2010
- Top Texas Wine – Pedernales Cellars Viognier, Texas, 2012
- Top Country Wine (Italy) – Bolla Amarone, Veneto, 2007
- Top All‐Around Winery – Messina Hof Winery, Bryan, Texas
- Top Wine Company – E & J Gallo Winery, Modesto, Calif.
- Top Sparkling Wine – Gosset Excellence Brut, Champagne, Non-Vintage
- Top White Wine – Consilience Wines Viognier, Santa Barbara County, 2011
- Top Red Wine – Silkwood Wines Alicante Bouschet, Modesto, California, Non-Vintage
- Top Sweet Wine – Yalumba Museum Reserve Antique Tawny, Barossa Valley, Non-Vintage
- Top Value Wine – Cycles Gladiator Winery Pinot Noir, California, 2011
The food, arguably the main draw for many, was outstanding this year. A vast selection of “light” bites had us stuffed before we made it all the way around the event. International flair was represented with Kiran’s Buffalo Kofta and Latin Bite’s Anticuchos. Some interesting deserts were served from newcomer Chocolate Pizazz who served up, and I kid you not, Fritos, potato chips, and popcorn covered in chocolate and candy.
Text and Photographs By Sandeep Khandelwal